A healthy planet is essential to human health and the sustainability of our business.
SETTING GOALS TO BETTER MANAGE OUR ENERGY, WATER AND WASTE
We have established three environmental sustainability goals related to climate change, water and waste that are aligned with our business and focused on addressing key environmental challenges. Achieving these goals helps prepare us to operate amidst an increasing global demand for energy, clean water and other natural resources.
TAKING A HOLISTIC APPROACH TO MANAGING SHARED WATER RESOURCES
Our facilities, suppliers, and the communities in which we operate all need access to clean water. We are focused on ensuring that our wastewater discharges comply with local and national standards; on reducing our operational water footprint; on publicly reporting our water use and goals; and on advocating for effective water policy.
MINIMIZING OUR PRODUCTS’ ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT—FROM THE LAB TO THE MEDICINE CABINET
We are committed to understanding and managing the environmental impacts of our products throughout their life cycles—from discovery through manufacturing, use and disposal. We conduct environmental risk assessments on our products to understand and manage impacts from development, product manufacturing, and patient use.
Environmental Sustainability At-a-Glance
Environmental Sustainability and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
The interactive graphic below indicates which SDGs we are addressing with regard to our Environmental Sustainability efforts. Hovering over the icons will give you a description of the goal, with links to more information.
For a list of all of the global goals which our company is working toward, and a directory of pages with our related initiatives and performance data, please visit our Sustainable Development Goals page.
- SDG 6 - Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all. Learn More >
- SDG 7 - Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. Learn More >
- SDG 12 - Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns. Learn More >
- SDG 13 - Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. Learn More >
- SDG 14 - Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development. Learn More >
- SDG 15 - Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss. Learn More >
|Key Performance Indicators1,2|
|Greenhouse gas emissions |
(metric tons of CO2e – Scopes 1 & 2)
|Water usage (billions of gallons)||8.6||8.6||7.5||7.1||6.3|
|Operational waste generated (metric tons)||108,500||109,500||96,300||83,700||70,200|
|1 Includes facilities worldwide.|
2 In accordance with the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, prior-year data have been adjusted to add or remove facilities that have been acquired and sold. Adjustments also reflect changes in methodology to ensure consistency from year to year.