Our company has a long history of environmental stewardship and compliance, but we realize that our strategy and efforts need to continuously improve in order for us to excel in an increasingly resource-constrained world.
The world’s resources are limited, and over the next few decades the demand for energy, clean water and other natural resources will increase substantially due to population growth and economic development. Additionally, climate change is projected to significantly impact global human health and will present long-term risks to our business.
We believe that companies have a responsibility to use resources wisely and drive innovations that will enable global development while protecting and preserving both the planet and the communities in which we live and work.
Our environmental sustainability strategy includes efforts in three key areas.
- Implementing energy-conservation and water-use-reduction initiatives
- Finding ways to more efficiently use our raw materials
- Handling our wastes in a compliant and responsible manner
- Innovating to reduce the environmental impacts of our new products, packaging, buildings and equipment
- Using more renewable energy to power our facilities, we will further reduce our greenhouse gas emissions
- Understanding the lifecycle impacts of our products
- Assessing the environmental impacts and risks in our value chain and striving to minimize those impacts
- Collaborating with our suppliers and customers to address our shared needs and interests in environmentally beneficial ways
New Environmental Sustainability Goals
To realize our strategy, we have established a new set of goals for improving the sustainability of our operations.
These goals were developed to address the rising expectations of our stakeholders around the environmental impact of our operations, supply chain, products and packaging.
Global Water Use
We use the World Resources Institute’s water-risk-assessment tool, called “Aqueduct,” to measure and map our water risks.
Measuring our Greenhouse Gas Footprint
Mapping our entire climate footprint has revealed that the emissions from our supply chain (Scope 3) are greater than our Scope 1 and market-based Scope 2 emissions combined. We are working to reduce these impacts through activities such as reducing waste in our operations, reducing fuel use and looking for opportunities to shift from air shipping to ocean transport wherever practical. We are also starting to work with our strategic suppliers to reduce their environmental impacts.
Awards & Recognition
We have been recognized for our commitment to minimizing our environmental impact.
U.S. EPA award for use of innovative technologies to decrease waste and spur economic growth
For the 2nd year, we have been selected for inclusion based on ESG criteria
The SDGs & Environmental Sustainability
This interactive graphic indicates which of the UN SDGs most closely align with our environmental efforts. Reducing our operational footprint is essential for thriving in a resource-constrained world.